If you want to stave off hunger for longer and get through your busy morning, consider having more protein at breakfast.
There are some simple things you can do to increase the protein in your breakfast meals, like swapping nut butter for jelly with your toast, and adding nuts, flax, hemp seeds or an egg to oatmeal.
To add variety and spice to your morning life…and to make it easy for you to increase protein in your breakfast, we’ve come up with 5 meals for you to try. Each contains at least 10 grams of protein per serving.
Warm Quinoa Cereal (Serves 4)
One serving contains over 10g protein. Although it is also high in carbohydrates (about 42g), one serving has about 11g of dietary fiber. Adding nuts and seeds as a topping will increase the protein in this dish.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 cup almond milk (or coconut milk)
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup diced apple (about 1/2 medium apple)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
Topping options: banana; pumpkin seeds, walnuts, strawberries, cocoa nibs
- Bring quinoa, milk, water, diced apple, cinnamon, and ground flaxseed to boil at medium-high heat; reduce to simmer after first boil.
- Simmer until liquid is absorbed (about 10 minutes).
- Divide quinoa into 4 bowls and add toppings as you wish.
Note: If not using all 4 servings at once, you can save quinoa cereal without toppings in fridge for about 5 days. Warm up before eating and then add toppings to enjoy.
Turkey Patties (Serves 4)
One serving (2 – 2-inch patties) contains over 22 g protein.
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp rubbed sage
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Place ground turkey into a large bowl.
- Add salt, sage, pepper and ginger.
- Shape into 2-inch patties.
- Cook in a skillet coated with oil over medium heat until no longer pink inside.
- Serve with leftover grilled veggies, sliced avocado, or simple tomato avocado salsa.
Open-Faced Egg Sandwich (Serves 1)
One serving contains over 28g protein.
- 1 egg
- Salt, pepper, dried basil to taste
- 1 slice whole grain bread
- Parmesan cheese (shredded or thin sliced)
- Handful of mixed lettuce or spinach
- 2 slices of tomato
- 1/4 avocado, sliced
- Whisk egg in bowl with salt, pepper, and basil.
- Cook egg in small frying pan or microwave.
- Toast bread.
- Place egg on toasted bread and top with cheese, tomato slices, lettuce and avocado.
- Enjoy with coffee, tea or green smoothie.
Mushroom Egg Bake (Serves 2)
One serving contains over 19g of protein.
- 4 mushrooms, chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 3 tbsp fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 6 eggs
- ½ cup coconut milk
- ½ tsp salt
- Place chopped mushrooms, green onions, and cilantro into a square 8” glass ovenproof dish. Add olive oil and stir
- In a bowl add eggs, coconut milk, salt. Lightly whisk until blended. Add to vegetables.
- Bake in 350° C oven for 35 to 40 minute
Salmon Wrap with Cashew Cream (Serves 2)
One serving contains over 27g protein.
- 1 – 7.5 oz canned wild salmon (or cooked salmon)
- 4 tablespoons cashew cream (Simple Cashew Cheese Spread recipe)
- 2 whole grain tortillas
- 1/2 medium tomato, sliced
- Prepare cashew cream ahead of time. See recipe by YumUniverse.com. If you prefer you can use softened goat cheese instead of the cashew cream.
- Spread 2 tablespoons of cashew cream on each whole grain tortilla and top with salmon.
- Add sliced tomatoes and other veggies of choice.
- Roll and enjoy.
Note: If you prefer, use romaine lettuce as a substitute for whole grain wraps. When using lettuce, simply mix cashew cream with salmon first and then top onto lettuce leaves. Add veggies of choice and roll.
Power through your morning fueled by one of our high protein breakfasts!