Give coconut flour a try as an alternative to wheat or other grain-based flours. It is abundant in protein, fiber and good fats. Coconut flour also has lauric acid, which helps your immune system, thyroid and skin stay healthy.
Note that you will need a lot less coconut flour in recipes than the flour called for in grain based recipes. You cannot substitute coconut flour 1:1 because of its unique properties. If you’d like to learn more about how to bake with coconut flour see this great site: http://nourishedkitchen.com/baking-with-coconut-flour/
For PDF copy of recipe, Gluten Free Blueberry Muffins
Makes 6 muffins
- 1/4 cup coconut flour (sifted)
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 eggs
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 3 tbsp coconut oil (melted)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries (if frozen do not thaw)
1. Mix coconut flour, baking powder and salt together.
2. Lightly beat eggs, add maple syrup, coconut oil, vanilla and mix.
3. Add flour to egg mixture. Fold until lightly blended.
4. Add blueberries and lightly mix.
6. Spoon into greased or parchment lined muffin cups.
7. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.