Chickpeas are one of the best foods you can eat! Besides being a good source of protein, chickpeas are:
- high in fiber, which helps with the digestive system and keeps you feeling full.
- high in the trace minerals manganese and iron, which can both help boost your energy
- have a low glycemic index (GI), which helps stabilize blood sugar providing a steady, slow-burning energy
- are heart healthy as they can lower LDL (bad) cholesterol and total cholesterol with their significant amounts of folate and magnesium
- contain phytochemicals called saponins that can act as antioxidants and may lower risk of breast cancer and may protect against osteoporosis
For PDF copy of recipe, Chickpea Patty
Makes 4 patties
- 1 medium carrot
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 green onions
- 1/2 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp. fresh cilantro, chopped
- 3 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp. pecans, ground
- Place carrot, garlic, onions in a food processor until finely chopped. Saute in oil until soft. Place in a large bowl until cool.
- Place chickpeas and water in food processor and mix until a coarse mixture forms.
- Add chickpeas and cilantro to cooled vegetables and mix together.
- Shape into patties.
- Lightly coat patties with ground pecans.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
If you don’t have a food processor you can finely chop the vegetables and mash the chickpeas with a fork or potato masher.
Serve over a dinner sized salad and drizzle with your favourite dressing or enjoy with a whole grain bun.