Make your taste buds happy with this fresh and simple chicken and salsa recipe. The basil gives the salsa a different flavor from the traditional salsas that call for cilantro.
Makes 4 Servings
- 4 chicken breasts
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 sweet onion (or red onion)
- 3 tomatoes
- 1 avocado
- 1 yellow or orange bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Whisk olive oil, lemon juice, dried basil, Dijon mustard, and pepper together. Marinate chicken breasts in the mixture and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- To make the salsa, chop the onion and saute briefly for 2-3 minutes in a dab of olive oil. For those who like raw onion, skip this step and add the onion raw to the mixture.
- Chop tomatoes, avocado, bell pepper and add to onion.
- Add lemon juice, fresh basil and salt and pepper to mixture.
- Let salsa rest in refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- Bake chicken in 400 degree F oven for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Serve chicken on top of scoop or two of salsa.