If you like cumin, turmeric and other Indian spices, you’ll love this spread. It keeps well in the fridge for a week so you can indulge all week long!
For PDF copy of recipe, Indian Inspired Lentil Spread
Prepare ahead of time:
- 1/4 cup greek yogurt cheese
- 1/2 cup unsalted cashews
- 3 tablespoons red onion, minced
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- 1 – 19 fl z can of lentils (rinsed and drained)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon cilantro
- To make cheese from yogurt, place greek yogurt in cheesecloth or paper coffee filter and store in a strainer that drips into a bowl. Store in fridge for at least 2 hours. The consistency will become more like cream cheese as liquid drains from yogurt.
- Place cashews in a bowl and cover with water. Let stand for at least 2 hours.
- Following prep steps 1 and 2, get ready to assemble the rest of the ingredients.
- Saute red onion in olive oil until soft.
- Rinse and drain lentils and add to food processor and pulse 5 or 6 times.
- Drain water from cashews and add cashews to food processor. Process for 1 or 2 minutes.
- Add all other ingredients – onion, yogurt cheese, turmeric, cumin, salt, pepper, lemon juice and cilantro.
- Process mixture until smooth.
- Serve with veggies or naan bread.