Lentils are quick and easy to cook as they do not require soaking. They are high in dietary fiber, protein, folic acid, iron and very low in fat.
For PDF copy of recipe, Simple Lentil Soup
Makes 4 to 6 servings
- 1 cup Brown lentils, rinsed
- 1 yellow Onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove Garlic, finely chopped
- 2 stalks Celery, finely chopped
- 2 cups Fresh spinach, finely chopped
- 1 tsp Thyme
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 1 tbsp Balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 6 cups Water or vegetable stock
- Place olive oil in a pot and heat at medium. Add onions, garlic, celery and sauté for 10 minutes or until soft.
- Add lentils to sautéed vegetables, stir. Add water, spinach and thyme. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 25 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Add salt and vinegar and stir (do not add salt if using salted vegetable stock).