This recipe has been re-invented from our mom’s kitchen! It was a favorite that many of us requested as our special meal. Although they take some preparation, they are absolutely delicious. See below how to wrap the chicken pieces.
Chicken Spiedini (Wraps) – Mamma Inspired Recipe
For PDF copy of recipe, Chicken Spiedini |Wraps|
- 2 pounds chicken breast fillets
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1/2 cup oat bran
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley
- 3 – 4 tbsp salsa (mild, medium, or hot)
- 30-35 dried bay leaves
- 4 wooden or metal skewers (soak wooden skewers in water for 20 minutes)
- 1/2 cup grapeseed oil
- juice of one lemon
- 1/2 tsp salt and pepper
- 1 tsp oregano
- Pound chicken fillets to 1/4 inch size between two sheets of parchment paper.
- Mix together all ingredients from almond meal to salsa. Use hands to work salsa into mixture.
- Make the marinade by combining all the marinade ingredients and set aside.
- Skewer one bay leaf at the end of a skewer ready for the next step.
- Arrange one chicken fillet in the palm of your hand and place about 1 tsp of almond mixture onto the centre of the fillet but closer to the broader edge.
- Roll the edges of the fillet to cover the filling and then forward to close.
- Skewer the wrapped chicken beside the bay leaf. Add another bay leaf onto the skewer and next to the chicken.
- Repeat the process until you have placed 4 or 5 chicken wraps onto a skewer.
- Lay prepared skewers into 9 x 13 baking pan and cover with half of marinade. Let stand for about 1 hour.
- Grill or bake at 400 degrees F for 25-30 minutes. Brush with remaining marinade throughout cooking time.
- When ready to serve, remove from skewers and discard bay leaves.
Alternative: If youʼd like to make a dairy-free and gluten-free version of the filling using the following ingredients for 700 g of chicken:
- 1/2 cup ground almonds
- 1/2 cup ground pecans
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp salsa
(Makes 14 spiedini)
Here is how you roll the chicken:
Pingback: Alzheimer’s Disease: Making a Difference | Aspire, Perspire, Nourish Yourself