If you are looking for something good to cook tonight that your whole family will like, try our healthier version of Chicken Parmesan. It is also a great dish for entertaining dinner guests. It is tasty, easy to prepare ahead of time, and looks impressive to your guests!
For a PDF copy of this recipe, Chicken Parmesan.
Preheat oven at 400 degrees F.
- 1/3 cup almond meal (or hazelnut flour)
- 1/3 cup wheat bran or oat bran
- 2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb chicken breast cutlets (or if using chicken breasts pound to 1/2 inch and cut in half)
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella or asiago or favorite cheese
- 1 – 8 oz can of low sodium tomato sauce or 1 cup of home made tomato sauce
- 1/3 of medium onion sliced
- Prepare coating for chicken by combining almond meal, wheat bran, parmesan cheese, parsley and salt and pepper.
- Drizzle olive oil over chicken cutlets and toss to coat.
- Dredge oiled chicken cutlets into coating.
- Use parchment paper or coat 8 x 11 or 9 x 13 baking pan with oil.
- Spread sliced onions at bottom of pan.
- Spoon 1/3 to 1/2 cup of tomato sauce at bottom of pan.
- Place coated cutlets on top of onions and sauce.
- Spread/drizzle remaining tomato sauce over top of chicken cutlets. The sauce will not cover the chicken entirely.
- Sprinkle shredded mozzarella (or preferred cheese) over chicken.
- Bake chicken at 400 degrees for 32 to 35 minutes.
Serve with mesclun salad and vegetable quinoa.