Do you have leftover quinoa? Here’s a wholesome recipe you can use as an appetizer or a main dish.
For PDF copy of recipe, Savory Quinoa Squares
Makes 36 squares or 4-6 meal sized servings
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup onions, finely diced
- 3/4 cup bell pepper, finely diced
- 1/2 cup kale, finely chopped
- 2 mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 whole egg
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup Mary’s Gone Crackers (or other whole grain crackers),
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Cook quinoa in water according to directions. Typically need to cook covered for 15 minutes at medium/low setting. Let stand until all water is absorbed.
- In small frying pan, sauté onions, bell pepper, kale, mushrooms with grapeseed oil. Add fresh rosemary and continue to cook until onions are translucent.
- In food processor or with rolling-pin, crush crackers into crumbs.
- Combine sautéed mixture with quinoa. Add cranberries, egg, egg white, cracker crumbs, salt and pepper and mix well.
- In a prepared 9 x 13 baking dish, pour quinoa mixture and pat down with spoon for even layer.
- Bake at 350º F for 25 minutes.
- Let cool and then cut into squares.
Note: You can also serve as a main dish by baking in a smaller dish for a thicker square and cutting into larger squares.