Need to use up all the vegetables in your crisper? This is a great recipe to use as a base. Feel free to substitute whatever vegetables you have in your fridge.
For PDF copy of recipe, Hearty Minestrone
Serves 4 to 6 people
- 1/2 onion
- 6 ribs celery
- 2 carrots
- 1 pound beef (tenderloin preferably)
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
- 3-4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worchestershire sauce
- 1 red pepper
- 4 mushrooms
- 1 cup sugar snap peas
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 cup swiss chard, stems removed)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup low sodium chicken or beef stock
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 cup mixed lentils
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- parmesan cheese for sprinkling on top (optional)
- Chop onions, celery, carrots and saute in pot with grapeseed oil for 5 minutes.
- Cut beef into 1/4 inch cubes and add to pot. Cook until no longer pink.
- Add minced thyme, soy sauce, and Worchestershire sauce to pot and cook for 5 minutes.
- Chop in large chunks the red pepper, mushrooms, sugar snap peas, tomatoes and add to pot. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add chopped swiss chard along with tomato paste and stir into mixture.
- Add chicken stock and water to mixture along with lentils, Italian seasoning and salt and pepper. Adjust the seasonings as preferred.
- Simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Serve with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese, a side salad and warm whole grain buns.