Beets and goat cheese. These are the surprise ingredients in this brownie recipe. The consistency is more like a fudge than a brownie and just so yummy!
For PDF copy of recipe, Red Velvet Brownies
Makes 8×8 baking pan
- 2 medium beets, cooked
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup maple syrup or raw honey
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1/4 cup toasted walnuts
- 8 ounces goat cheese, softened
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup (add 1 more if you like sweeter)
- 1 egg
- 1/8 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- In food processor, blend beets. Add coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla, cocoa powder, salt, vinegar, and eggs. Blend for another 2-3 minutes.
- Place mixture into large bowl and gradually add flour with spoon or spatula, gently folding into cocoa mixture. Do not overmix. Fold in walnuts.
- Reserve 1/4 cup of mixture and pour rest into 8 x 8 prepared baking pan.
- Make creamy topping by adding goat cheese, maple syrup, egg, and vanilla extract into food processor, and blend until smooth.
- Gently pour creamy cheese mixture on top of cocoa mixture. Drop 1/4 cup of reserved cocoa mixture as globs on top of creamy mixture.
- With a knife swirl the cocoa blobs into the creamy mixture.
- Bake brownies in 325º F pre-heated oven for 30-32 minutes.
- Let cool and cut into squares. Store in refrigerator.