Rich and hearty tasting soup with a sweet touch! The sweet potato’s starch is a natural way of thickening soups.
Yellow Split Pea & Sweet Potato Soup
For PDF copy of recipe, Yellow Split Pea & Sweet Potato Soup
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and chopped (peel can be left on), (approx. 300 g)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups yellow split peas, rinsed under cold water
- 8 cups water
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- Saute chopped onions and sweet potatoes with olive oil for 10 minutes on medium heat.
- Add rinsed peas, water, thyme and ginger. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and cook for 1 hour.
- Add sea salt. Remove from heat and puree with an immersion blender or cool and use a food processor to blend.
- Add different spices to change the flavor
- Use vegetable stock instead of water
Pingback: Monthly Food Feature: Sweet Potato | Aspire, Perspire, Nourish Yourself