Looking for a quick pick-me-up before or after a workout? Try these delicious home made protein bars. They taste so good that our kids think they are candy bars. If you store these in the freezer, they’re a great ice cream bar substitute.
For PDF copy of recipe, Mint Chocolate Protein Bars
Makes about 24
- 1/2 cup dates (about 14)
- 1/2 cup prunes (about 11)
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 1/4 cup flax seed + 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup hemp hearts
- 1/2 cup hemp protein powder (or protein powder of your choice)
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp. maple syrup
- 1/2 tbsp mint extract
- 70g of 70% cocoa chocolate bars (2 small bars) or about 2/3 cup of dark chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp. grapeseed oil or coconut oil
- 1 tsp mint extract
- Place dates and prunes in hot water and let sit for 10 minutes. Combine flax seed and water and let sit.
- Add prunes, dates and hot water to food processor and blend until pureed. Add all other ingredients and process until ball starts to form. Scrape sides of bowl throughout process.
- Transfer mixture to 9 x 9 baking pan and press into bottom.
- Store in freezer for 30 minutes and then cut into squares.
- Combine ingredients for coating into a bowl and microwave in 1 minute increments until melted. Mix after each minute.
- Dip squares into coating mixture and place on parchment paper. Let dry for 10 minutes and then place back into the freezer until ready to eat.