This green vegetable salad is a great picnic or potluck dish. The avocado pesto-type dressing is creamy and refreshing.
Green Vegetable Salad
For PDF copy of recipe, Green Vegetable Salad
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1/2 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup seedless grapes
- 1 cup spinach
- 1/2 cup carrots, chopped (1 small)
Dressing* (Note that it makes more than needed for salad):
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/2 cup lightly-packed fresh basil leaves
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons water or brewed green tea
- 1/4 teaspoon each of Salt and Pepper
- Cut broccoli florets into bite-sized pieces, grapes into quarters, and spinach into strips.
- In large bowl, add broccoli, celery, green pepper, grapes, spinach and carrots.
- In a blender or food processor, blend together the dressing ingredients.
- Add 1/4 cup of dressing to vegetable mixture and toss well to coat.
- Refrigerate salad for at least 1 hour before serving.
*Note that the recipe will make about 1 1/2 cups of dressing that can be used for other recipes. Only use about 1/4 cup for the salad.
If you like, you may add turkey bacon pieces or cooked chicken to the salad for extra protein.
Pingback: Celebrate St. Patrick’s Day with Green Foods | Aspire, Perspire, Nourish Yourself