Enjoy these chocolatey bars as a treat, while knowing that the banana, almond flour, and fiber-rich oatmeal and figs are heart-healthy ingredients.
For PDF copy of recipe, Oatmeal Bars
Makes 18 squares (1 inch)
- 1 1/2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 cup oatmeal (quick cooking whole grain)
- 3 figs
- 3 medjool dates
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 1/2 cup unsweetened dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup white chocolate chips (or dark chocolate chips)
- 1/4 cup coconut chips/flakes
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (or dark chocolate chips)
- In a large bowl, combine mashed bananas with oatmeal.
- Finely dice figs and dates or pulse in food processor.
- Add figs and dates to oatmeal mixture along with almond butter and mix until well blended.
- Fold in remaining ingredients into mixture.
- Press mixture into prepared 9-inch square baking dish.
- Bake at 350º for 20 minutes in preheated oven.
- Remove and let cool.
- For topping, melt 1/4 cup semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips.
- Spread melted chocolate on top of baked oatmeal dish. Cool completely in refrigerator.
- Cut into 1 inch square bars and serve.