Fresh tomatoes are so much sweeter than store bought! Here is a healthy recipe that Mary made with tomatoes fresh from our brother Sal’s garden.
If you don’t have a food mill, then use a hand blender or food processor. Using these tools makes the sauce a little more rustic tasting and changes the color a bit, but still makes a very tasty sauce.
For PDF copy of recipe, Garden Fresh Tomato Sauce
Makes 8 cups
- 3 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 large Onion (can be any type you like), cut into chunks
- 5 pounds Roma tomatoes, ripe, cored, stems and any blemishes removed and cut into chunks
- Seasonings to taste such as salt, pepper, hot peppers, fresh or dried herbs, etc.
- Saute onion in olive oil until lightly browned.
- Add chunks of tomatoes.
- Cook, stirring frequently for about 30 minutes on medium heat (this breaks down the tomatoes and allows the juices to thicken a little).
- Remove from heat and using a food mill, process the cooked tomatoes. Alternatively, use a hand blender or food processor to make the sauce.
- Add seasoning to taste.
- Sauce can be used right away, placed in fridge for up to 5 days or frozen.