Do you love beans and hate the soaking, cooking, and all the fuss with dried beans? Then consider cooking lentils and using your crockpot. Lentils do not need to be soaked over night.
This dish is the perfect size for a side but if you want to serve it as a meal, then double the recipe. If you want to make it as a soup, then add more water.
- 1 cup lentils
- 2 1/2 cups water (or vegetable broth if you prefer)
- 1/4 sweet onion, diced
- 2 ribs of celery, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Salt to taste – NOTE add in last 15 minutes or after cooked
- Sort and rinse lentils to make sure there are no small rocks in them.
- Place all ingredients in the crockpot, except the salt. Note that adding salt to lentils will keep them from softening.
- Set crockpot on low for 4-5 hours or on high for 2-3 hours.
- Add salt to taste in the last 15 minutes of cooking or after lentils are done.
- Enjoy as a side dish. When making it as a meal, double the recipe. As a soup, add at least 1 more cup of water to the lentil-to-water ratio. Change up the recipe by adding whatever vegetables you prefer.