A traditional Sicilian appetizer made with eggplant has been reinvented here with more health friendly ingredients.
For a PDF copy of recipe, Eggplant Caponata
- 2 to 3 small eggplants, cubed
- cold water
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
- 15 almonds, oven roasted
- 12 grape tomatoes
- 12 green olives (Manzanilla or Italian)
- 1/4 cup dried unsweetened cranberries or raisins
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Roast almonds on a dry baking dish for 12 to 15 minutes. Cool.
- Place eggplant cubes in bowl with cold water and soak for 30 minutes. Water should cover the eggplant.
- Drain water from eggplant, place in prepared roasting pan. Spritz with 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil.
- Roast eggplant cubes in 400 degree F oven for 30 minutes, turning half-way through. Cool.
- To a food processor, add roasted almonds, roasted eggplant cubes, tomatoes, olives, cranberries, olive oil, vinegar, maple syrup, salt, pepper and oregano.
- Pulse 30 to 40 times creating a mixture with small chunks.
- Place in bowl and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Serve with Mary’s Gone Crackers – Original Seed Crackers.