An old favorite from our childhood! Chicken with lots of great vegetables make this dish a good, hearty meal that is light but filling.
For a PDF copy of recipe, Chicken Cacciatore
Serves 4 – 6
- 4 boneless chicken breasts (or 1 1/2 pounds chicken thighs and pieces)
- 1 small sweet onion, sliced
- 2 bell peppers (red, yellow), cut in 1/2 inch chunks
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1 cup spinach, chopped
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil, divided
- 1 – 14 fluid ounce can low sodium tomatoes (or fresh tomatoes), chopped
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven at 375 degrees F and prepare a 9 x 13 baking pan.
- Slice chicken breasts in half lengthwise to make smaller pieces or pound chicken breasts between 2 pieces of parchment paper until about 3/4 inch thick.
- Sprinkle pepper over chicken.
- Brown chicken in 1/2 tablespoon grapeseed oil for 3 or 4 minutes.
- Place chicken in prepared baking pan.
- In same skillet where chicken was browned, saute in remaining grapeseed oil the onions, mushrooms, peppers, spinach, Italian seasoning and salt for about 6 minutes.
- Add canned or fresh tomatoes to skillet with vegetables.
- Add tomato paste and stir mixture. Cook for another 6 minutes.
- Pour tomato and vegetable mixture on top of chicken evenly spreading over chicken.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese if using.
- Bake chicken for about 30 minutes or until temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
- Sprinkle an additional tablespoon of Parmesan cheese if desired.
- Serve over steamed rice, grains, quinoa or bok choy.
Note: Use canned Italian stewed tomatoes to add additional flavor. However, be sure to buy a low sodium brand or eliminate the salt in the recipe.
Pingback: A Story of Inspiration for Healthy Living | Aspire, Perspire, Nourish Yourself
Pingback: Dinner This Week | Aspire, Perspire, Nourish Yourself