Sometimes the desire for something sweet can’t be satisfied by a piece of fruit! Here is a great recipe that uses wholesome ingredients, tastes good, and can take that edge off when you need something sweet.
Apricot Date Snack Bars
For a PDF copy of this recipe, Apricot Date Snack Bars
Preheat oven to 350 degrees C. Prepare 9 x 13 inch baking pan.
1 cup of almonds OR 1 1/4 cups almond meal/flour
1 cup whole gain oats
1/2 cup whole spelt flour (or your choice of brown rice, quinoa, barley flour)
1/4 cup hulled hemp seeds
2 tablespoons cacao nibs
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
1/4 cup honey
1/2 cup plain yogurt or plain greek yogurt
1 medium mashed banana
1/4 cup cashew pieces
16 apricots diced (or cut into small pieces)
5 dates diced (or cut into small pieces)
1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut (optional)
- Grind almonds in a food processor or use prepared almond meal.
- In a large bowl, mix ground almonds, oats, flour, hemp seeds, and cocoa nibs.
- In small bowl, whisk together coconut oil, egg, honey, yogurt and banana.
- Combine wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix until moistened. Add cashews, apricots and dates and mix thoroughly.
- Place mixture onto baking dish spreading evenly.
- Sprinkle coconut on top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 22-25 minutes.
- Let cool and then cut into squares.
Pingback: Living your active life with kids in tow… | Aspire, Perspire, Nourish Yourself