After your workout, repair, rebuild, and replenish your body the smart way. Nourish it with a combination of healthy carbohydrates (carbs), proteins, and good fats.
Exercise creates stress on our bodies, which is essential for increasing physical capability and growing muscles. Immediately following exercise, our body looks for materials to repair tissues; therefore, equally important during the recovery phase is replacing glycogen energy stores and repairing micro tears in muscles with proper nutrition. Strenuous exercise also causes inflammation, which can be alleviated by eating inflammation-fighting foods.
Post Workout Recovery Ideas
After your workout, reach for the following wholesome snacks:
- Apple or pear slices with almond butter or seed butters such as sunflower, pumpkin, sesame as an alternative for those with nut allergies.
- Hard boiled egg with carrots sticks.
- Homemade trail mix (mixture of almonds, brazil nuts, walnuts, pecans, raisins, shredded or sliced unsweetened coconut, cocoa nibs).
- Protein Shake with a banana or blueberries.
- Lemony Spinach Hummus with celery sticks.
- Beans dressed with lemon juice or vinegar and herbs.
- Small portion of your leftover dinner (balanced dinner containing complex carbs like quinoa or brown rice, and lean protein like chicken, turkey).
- Simple Kale Salad with salmon (high in omega-3s to help with inflammation).
- Artichoke hearts with tuna and a squeeze of lemon.
- Small sweet potato with chicken.
- Whole oats with blueberries or cherries.
A ratio of 4:1 carbs to proteins combination is typically recommended with a dash of healthy fats. For example, a fistful of carbs and about 2 thumbs-worth of protein.
Keep in mind that the size of the snack varies depending on the intensity and duration of the workout you’ve had, your body weight, and nutrition goals.
Recover wisely to reap exercise benefits, instead of indulging in high fat, empty calorie foods. Try our homemade Lemony Spinach Hummus and Simple Kale Salad recipes featured in this article, making your recovery easy and nutritious.